Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Kyla Irwin commits to UConn

Before Kyla Irwin arrived on campus over the weekend for her unofficial visit to UConn she dreamed of one day suiting up for Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma's Huskies.

That dream became a reality when she became the second member of the Class of 2016 to commit to UConn.

"It was everything," Irwin said. "It the best of both worlds. It is such a great program; the campus is very nice; the coaches coach just like I like it; I have family in Connecticut and it can't get better than that.

"I am cloud nine and I have never been so happy."

Irwin, a 6-foot-1 junior forward at State College (Pa.) High School, had 13 20-point games and averaged 19.6 points per game. She is a hard-nosed, aggressive player who attempted 150 free throws in 26 games as a sophomore.

"I love this game more than anything," Irwin said. "Every play I am in there, I talk a lot, always excited and always enthusiastic about the game and I think that is kind of what drew coaches to me. I know this game inside and out so I think i have been around this game long enough that it is the only game I really ever loved."

UConn began showing up at her AAU games and although she was unable to make it up for First Night, she was on campus later in the weekend.

"It is something I have always dreamed of. I literally dreamed of it so I know I made the right decision," Irwin said.

Irwin is coached by her mom, a former Branford High School star who played at Penn State. While the former Bethany Collins remained in State College, the rest of her family remained in Connecticut so there will be a large caravan with her supporters from Branford to Storrs when Irwin gets to UConn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home