Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

California trip extra special for UConn's Gabby Williams

Getting to play her first two games with the nine-time national champion UConn women's basketball team just a couple of hours from her Sparks, Nevada home was going to be extra special for freshman Gabby Williams. However, there was an added bonus when Williams played in Friday's UC Davis game.

"I got to see my sister pregnant for the first time because I have been gone so I got to see her belly and I got really emotional," Williams said after UConn's practice on Sunday at the Stanford practice facility.

Williams estimated that she had 30 friends and family members at the UC Davis  and some of her former coaches are planning to be at Maples Pavilion tomorrow when the Huskies play Stanford.

"It was really nice, I hadn't seen them in so long and even had some friends from high school who made the trip," Williams said.

Williams has been to Maples Arena before including the Dec. 29, 2012 game when UConn ended Stanford's 82-game home winning streak with a 61-35 victory.

"I have been in this (arena) a few times to see," Williams said. "I have seen UConn and Stanford play so it will be cool to be on the court. A couple of old coaches are coming too so it will be good to see them and I will have a lot of family coming too. It is just exciting to be here for the experience instead of just watching it."

So what did she enjoy the most about the way UConn played?

"It was awesome how well they moved the ball, just how disciplined they were, all the high energy they had from the bench and I knew I wanted to be a part of this program," Williams said.

Williams had six points, three rebounds and a steal in 13 minutes in Friday's 102-43 win over UC Davis as all four freshmen made their UConn debuts.

"Most of it was coming in and finding out what I could do, even if we are already winning what could I do to make sure I did something, can I say that I did something great," Williams said.

One experience Williams doesn't want to go through again is realizing she failed to pack both a left and right sneaker. That is what happened when she arrived at the XL Center for the final exhibition game against Post University and it resulted in her not getting into the game until the second half.

"I just grabbed the white shoes and assumed they were in there and they weren't. I think I had a heart attack when I unzipped my bag and I was in a state of panic," Williams said. "That will never happen again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home