Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

UConn's Ekmark anxious to return to court

After not getting into the huge game at Stanford on Nov. 17 Courtney Ekmark was eager to get on the practice court and play herself into the rotation for the remainder of her freshman season.

Then, the day before the Huskies' next game, she complained of soreness in her right foot. After getting an MRI done, it was revealed that she would be out 4-6 weeks.

After Wednesday's practice Ekmark said it is looking more like she will be back in four weeks rather than six which could give her a chance to play in the Dec. 19 game against DePaul on Webster Bank Arena. She is definitely out for Saturday's game against Notre Dame.

"Obviously I want to play every game and every chance I can," Ekmark said. "It is hard missing the games, the practices but hopefully I can get back on the court as soon as possible.

"I met with the doctor again last night and he said four weeks is probably good. We'll have to see how it is feeling but it has been almost two weeks so I could maybe start doing some more stuff, putting more pressure on it.

Right now I have been swimming, doing bike workouts, upper body and abs but next week hopefully I can start doing the elliptical."

Ekmark is obviously a little frustrated but is making the best of the situation.

"It was definitely tough," Ekmark said. "I wanted to have some more practices but everything happens for a reason so hopefully it is good for me. I can't really do anything to change the situation. I am trying to heal fast and I am making the best of it. I have been watching practice, learning a lot, watching film with the coaches and really make the most of it."

She is thrilled to see how quickly freshmen Kia Nurse, the MVP of the recently-completed Gulf Coast Showcase, and Gabby Williams have worked their way into the playing rotation.

"I think it is awesome to watch them," Ekmark said. "Kia is playing really well recently so I am super happy for her."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home