Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Full speed ahead for UConn's Mosqueda-Lewis

Watching Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis misfire on a couple of open 3-pointers and miss a couple of shots in the lane, it was pretty clear that something was a little amiss with the senior forward.

The UConn coaching staff felt the same way because she played just 16 minutes in last night's win over St. Francis (N.Y.), her lowest total for an NCAA tournament game. Mosqueda-Lewis' streak of consecutive NCAA tournament games scoring in double digits ended at 17 as she had just two points in the 89-33 win.

Mosqueda-Lewis was back on the practice court today and downplayed any health issues.

"My tape job was too tight on my Achilles," Mosqueda-Lewis said before UConn hit the practice court. "I just got taped for the first time in a long time, it probably wasn't the best thing.

"It was more so my tape that was hurting me and making my Achilles hurt than anything. It felt like someone was slowly snipping at my Achilles. I had new shoes and didn't feel like my ankles were supported so I wanted to get them taped so it ended hurting me."

Mosqueda-Lewis, fifth all-time at UConn in postseason scoring, is not accustomed to sitting for more minutes than she plays during March Madness.

"It was weird but my team ended up taking care of me so I didn't have anything to worry about," Mosqueda-Lewis said.

Here are some statistical items of note

Morgan Tuck had 26 points and eight assists as Sue Bird is the only other UConn player with at least 25 points and eight assists in the same NCAA tournament game as Bird had 26 and 11 in a 2002 game against Old Dominion.

Gabby Williams had 15 points and Kia Nurse added 12 as they became the fifth set of UConn freshmen to reach double digits in the NCAA opener.

Back in 1993 Jamelle Elliott had 21 points and Rizzotti added 13, in 2001 Diana Taurasi (12 points) and Morgan Valley (11) accomplished the feat, four years later Mel Thomas had 13 points and Charde Houston added 10 and most recently Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley had 12 points each in the 2011 NCAA opener.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Joe said...

It is hard to believe that K M-L wouldn't have practiced first with her ankles taped wearing her new shoes for the first time.
Strange to wait until game time to test out such a major change.

9:00 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home