Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

UConn loses freshman forward De'Janae Boykin

UConn announced that freshman forward De'Janae Boykin has decided to transfer.

"Recently De’Janae expressed her desire to be closer to (home)," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "She is a great kid and I am glad I was able to get to know De’Janae and her family.  The entire coaching staff and team wish her nothing but the best in the future."

Boykin will complete her final exams before finalizing her transfer.

She did not appear in a game this season due to the combination of a tender Achilles' tendon as well as some academic issues. She did not make the trip when the Huskies played at Chattanooga and DePaul and was also left back on campus when the Huskies headed to play at Colgate.

Boykin missed most of her senior season at Flowers High School due to a wrist injury and then was sidelined by Achilles issue.

I spoke to her at a recent practice when she was back taking part in some of the drills.

"It has been hard. It is kind of like being back in high school when I had to sit and watch so it is pretty hard for me so I am excited that I am able to (practice) now," Boykin said.

Boykin is from a very close family. She transferred from girls' basketball powerhouse Riverdale Baptist to Flowers High School so she could attend the same school as her brother Joshua, who is blind.

“He was kind of scared going to high school and he asked me if I could go to school with him,” Boykin said in a 2014 interview with the Register. “It was a school down the street and I said, ‘Yes, I’ll go to school with you.’ It is great to know I am here for him, he is there and I can help him out whenever he needs something.

“We are very independent. We have always been cool and we always fight like brothers and sisters do all the time. It is special because I always see him and if something happens, I have his back the whole way.”

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous John B said...

Good Luck Ms.Boykin

1:43 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home