Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Leaving the RAC behind

A couple more items left over from Monday's UConn/Rutgers game.

Considering that two of the 11 losses UConn has suffered in her four years have come at the RAC, I assumed UConn senior guard Renee Montgomery would have been thrilled knowing she would never again have to step foot inside the Louis Brown Athletic Center. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

"It is exciting playing games like this," Montgomery said. "I told CD (UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey, a member of Rutgers' 1982 AIAW national championship team) I had to go up to the top and look at her championship picture one last time and laugh at that. I think I will miss it."

When Rutgers honored seniors Kia Vaughn and Heather Zurich as well as three student managers before the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma made certain the entire team was sitting on the bench rather than finding sanctuary in the locker room as many opposing teams do during "Senior Night" festivities. It was not a coincidence that the Huskies were out on the court taking in the ceremony.

"The players know who they are, they have shared four years and played against them," Auriemma said. "It's a big deal. I don't know why teams go hide in the locker room and pretend it's not happening. I am always interested in how kids react, the emotions involved. I want my players to see it too. It's a sign of respect too, you don't turn your back and walk away on people that are celebrating something."

MONTGOMERY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home