Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dailey finishes strong at Pro-Am

When associate head coach Chris Dailey finished her nine-hole round at the Travelers' Pro-Am, she busted my chops about missing the highlight of her golfing "career."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that she could blame one of his prize pupils. When I was out on the course tracking her progress and shooting some videos, I checked my e-mails and saw the release on Maya Moore being one of the three finalists for the Honda-Broderick Cup award. While I was able to throw up a short update on this blog courtesy of my phone, I headed back to the media center to provide a longer entry.

I headed out to the ninth hole and saw Dailey finish with a par. However, it was her effort on the eighth hole that had Dailey downright giddy. Dailey finished with a birdie on the par-3 hole but because of her handicap, her score went down as a zero.

"I wish I could tell you the yardage but it was a par 3 and the putt was about 10 feet downhill slope," Dailey said. "My pro Brian Davis gave me a good read as did my caddy and I knocked it in. I jumped up and down, made a lot of noise and shot a zero. It is so rare, the guy who keys in the score couldn't put a zero in as a score so I got us three strokes in one hole. I just parred tthat (ninth hole)."

This was Dailey's third time playing the Pro-Am. She admits she doesn't play a heck of a lot of golf but with help from Davis as well as her caddy, she showed tremendous improvement as she finished up the Pro-Am in style.

"These guys are great and just the people I've gotten to meet are (great)," Dailey said. "I've been pretty lucky with the pros I've gotten to play with, they are really nice.

"I love to do this. I don't get to play a lot of golf, I am not really good at it. I have a high handicap so that is good. I know my role on the team. Every year I say I am going to practice. This year I was going to practice one week and it rained every day but it is a lot of fun."

This is a bit of the calm before the storm. When the recruiting process opens up early next month, the UConn staff will focus on the top players in the Class of 2013. Diamond DeShields and Taya Reimer have drawn the interest of the UConn staff and it will be interesting to see which members of that class join DeShields and Reimer as top recruiting targets in that class.

"It is going to start picking up," Dailey said. "We go out (recruiting) on the 6th (of July). It starts to pick up and we travel a lot.

Speaking of traveling, Dailey talked about UConn's upcoming trip to Europe.

"I think it is a great experience for our kids to be able to go overseas but it will also be good for us to see what they know, how quickly they pick things up," Dailey said. "It will be good to get a look at this year's team and see what we need to do heading into September and when the season starts."

I think they are handling the intensity of it. I think the first day they were a little overwhelmed but I think with each workout they have gotten better. I think they are pushing themselves but it is still a big jump from that first time, your last day of high school and then you are in college but they have done a really good job so far.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home