Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, July 01, 2011

A new and improved Sue Bird?

While holding court before Friday's game against the Connecticut Sun, Seattle Storm guard Sue Bird addressed a variety of subjects. Perhaps none was the former UConn star as forthcoming as when she discussed how she changed her diet a couple years into her extremely successful WNBA career because she felt like she was in a bit of a rut.

"I was never out of shape but I felt like I could be in better shape. I felt like I could do more," Bird said. "It came down to changing my diet. Nothing crazy, I didn't go on a diet just changed my diet. I was working out a little extra, a little bit harder and I really felt a difference. If I were to talk to some elite high school athlete and they were to ask me 'how could I get to the next level?' I think conditioning is the No. 1 thing. Everybody can shoot, everybody can pass, everybody can dribble. Of course people have strengths and weaknesses (but) if you can run faster longer ... If you can do the things at the beginning of the game at the end as well after playing 30 minutes, that is when you can last in this league."

With NCAA, WNBA, Olympic, World Championship and EuroLeague championships to her credit, Bird is already one of the most accomplished players in women's basketball history. It should not come as a surprise that the quest for championships still drives her.

"I'd like to do it again," Bird said of leading the Storm to a WNBA title. "I think early on, you are kind of wide-eyed to it all and you want to get your first championship. You want to get your first gold medal or your first whatever. Once you've done it, I know from my Storm experience, you take it for granted. We got there in 2004. I was 23 years old, Lauren (Jackson) was 23 years old and we thought 'we'll be back there every year. This will be easy.' To get there again, in some ways that 2010 championship means that much more to me because I know how hard it was to get back. When it comes to what it takes to motivate you, I know what it's like to stand on the podium and the end of the year. I also know what it's like to be at home at the end of the year after getting knocked out. I'd rather be on the podium. It is a much better way to spend your offseason."

Bird, Cash and the Storm trail Connecticut 45-33 at halftime.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home