Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Moore reflects on another special honor

Her commitments with the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx did not allow former UConn star Maya Moore to make the trip to Columbia University to accept the Honda-Broderick Cup in person on Monday but that doesn't mean that joining swimming legend Tracy Caulkins to become the only two-time winner of the prestigious honor.

"It is really tough putting it into perspective and I won't be able to until later on down the line," Moore said. "Just the way I am able to win it two years in a row just makes me think of my teammates, coaches and all the people who have been part of the UConn history that have given me a platform to be able to be honored like this twice. Because of all the special people I've had in my life, my family, friends, mentors, everybody involved - training staff even down to our practice players at UConn can all be excited and take joy in this award because they are all part of it because that is what makes this award special."

Moore admitted she was not aware of many of the remarkable achievements of Caulkins, who ironically was born in Winona, Minnesota. Caulkins, who set 63 American swimming records and was a triple gold medal winner at the 1984 Olympics, won the Honda-Broderick Cup in 1982 and 1984 when she was a star at Florida.

Moore is in the midst of her rookie season with Minnesota. She matched her career high with 21 points in Sunday's loss to Indiana which came two days after being held to a career low four points in a loss at Seattle.

"It is really tough," said Moore, who is averaging 13.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists for the 5-3 Lynx. "It is something that people haven't had to see, especially in my career. The growing pains (as an amateur) have been off camera. I have struggled growing as a basketball player before I got to UConn, during practices at UConn and a lot of attention hasn't always been shown on that. It is a great opportunity to make this season and this story better going through these struggles early on."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home