Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Taurasi glad to be back; Jones close to returning


Sitting out most of the first half of the WNBA season was certainly not high on the list of Diana Taurasi but it proved to be a necessary evil for the former UConn star as  troublesome hip injury would have put her participation in the Olympics in jeopardy had she tried to play through the injury.


“I really just had to get healthy and get 100 percent,” Taurasi said. “I had to work on some things physically that have been bothering me for a while. To think about risking it for the Olympics is tough. I came together with management, (Phoenix) Coach (Corey) Gaines, Coach (Geno) Auriemma and USA Basketball but I am healthy now. That is a good thing. “It happened probably February in Turkey. I (hurt) my hamstring pretty bad and that kind of caused my quad to go crazy and went into my hip flexor so it is kind of a cycle of problems. After that first game in LA I was really on one leg.”

It hasn’t been easy for a competitor like Taurasi missing time while the Mercury have limped to a 4-15 record.

“It was difficult to watch and not be able to play,” Taurasi said. “I think we will take some positives out of it. I think DeWanna Bonner has shown she is one of the best players in this league. Sammy Rose (Prahalis) (has had) some ups and downs but I think that is going to be helpful in year two for us.”

JONES HOPES TO PRACTICE SUNDAY
Asjha Jones missed the Connecticut Sun’s game on Friday at Chicago after tweaking her left foot and ankle late in Wednesday’s win over Washington and she also sat out of practice with the Olympic quad on Saturday night.

However, the former UConn star is hoping to take part in today’s practice.

“I am feeling a lot better,” Jones said. “We’re just being extra cautious.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home