Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Big East's Donehew "thankful" to be ACC Legend

When the calls came in rapid succession from Georgia Tech women's basketball coach MaChelle Joseph and Senior Women's Administrator Theresa Wenzel, Big East Associate Commissioner Danielle Donehew couldn't believe the honor that was being bestowed on her.

A press release sent out shortly thereafter made it official, Donehew would indeed be Georgia Tech's honoree in the 2013 ACC Legends class.

"I thought it was a wonderful surprise and I was thankful that they acknowledged my contribution to Georgia Tech in that way and I was thrilled to be included in that class," Donehew said.

Donehew played at Georgia Tech from 1997-2000 before embarking on a successful career as an administrator in the world of women's basketball.

"When those years are underway and you are in your collegiate experience you know that it is special and you enjoy it as much as you can but you never can really appreciate it until after it is over and you are looking back," Donehew said. "I so appreciate the people and the wonderful environment I was in. All the life lessons that were taught to myself and my teammates, it is so valuable as I continue on in my life and now as I am continuing to work in our game and continuing to offer great opportunities to the athletes who are coming behind me, it certainly has inspired me as a collegiate athlete."

Donehew was one of the best 3-point shooters in ACC history. She still ranks second all-time at Georgia Tech in 3-pointers made and attempted. Her 86 3-pointers made in the 1998-99 is still a Georgia Tech record.

"I like to be efficient in everything that I did and I do now," Donehew said with a laugh. "It is so much better if you get three points rather than two points so many times I shot a lot more 3-pointers than I did 2-pointers. I was a little slower than my competition, I used a lot of screens but had a wonderful collegiate experience and I love to shoot the ball, was very fortunate to play with players who always set me up whether it was with great passes or great screens. It was exciting to be one of the players on the team who was expected to shoot."


Donehew and the other 11 ACC Legends will be honored at the annual ACC Women's Basketball Legends' Brunch on March 9 at 10 a.m., and then will be introduced to the Coliseum crowd at halftime of the first semifinal game on March 9.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home