Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sadie Edwards commits to UConn

A day after making an unofficial visit to UConn, Meriden's Sadie Edwards committed to UConn.

The offer came when Edwards and her mother Lisa were on campus to check out UConn's practice and they were able to stick around to see the road the Huskies would face when the NCAA pairings were released.

Edwards went home, thought about it overnight and called UConn coach Geno Auriemma on Tuesday to say she was committing.

"It was exciting but I was in shock still," Edwards said. "I've always dreamed since I was 6 years old and I grew up in Connecticut  wanting to go there. I had ups and downs in my career so there were times when I didn't know if I was gong to make it or get to make it that high but just hearing him say that he wanted me to come there just showed me how much the hard work paid off

"I think it is almost every girls basketball player from Connecticut's dream to have the opportunity to go to Connecticut. It is such a great program with so much tradition. I get to play in front of some of the greatest fans in the country with some of the greatest players in the country, the greatest coaching staff in the country and to get the opportunity to consistently compete for a conference championship, national championship. You get better and just to be in a state that loves basketball so much and really have an appreciation for the UConn women's basketball thing, it is a real special thing."

Edwards played at Mercy as a freshman before transferring to New York powerhouse Nazareth to play for legendary coach Apache Paschall. After Paschall, a series of events transpired which led to her transferring to Blair Academy where she played this season.

"I think my journey has had a lot of ups and downs and it has been difficult at times. I have worked really, really hard for this. There have been good days, bad days and days where you want to give it up and days when (you wonder) if you will ever get there or you aren't good enough but I think I have people around me who supported me, people around me who helped me get better."

At Blair Academy the 5-foot-10 Edwards had a chance to grow into her role as a point guard. She was a dynamic scorer but is more of a combination shooting guard/point guard than she was when she was at Mercy.

"I am much more comfortable playing point guard. I like creating shots for others," said Edwards, who had seven 20-point games and four contests with at least 10 assists. "I know I can score but I like and it makes it a lot easier to create shots for others because I can get into the lane or if I score a couple of times and it will be a lot easier to get my teammates shots. I love to pass, I love getting my teammates involved and being at Blair has helped me become a better leader. It has helped me grow as a player and become more vocal and now how to better run a team. I was ale to grow up and learn how to  talk to people and how to run a team with other Division I players and all very talented kids."

Edwards joins Courtney Ekmark, a 6-foot guard from Phoenix, as the UConn commitments from the Class of 2014. She will also be able to play alongside current UConn freshmen Moriah Jefferson, Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck, a talented sophomore class led by Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis as well as incoming freshman Saniya Chong.

"They all want to win and it is very competitive but it is like a family," Edwards said. "I like how they don't focus on individual play, their goal is to win championships and I think that says a lot and I think to be in position every year is something special."




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home