Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, February 07, 2014

UConn's Banks hopes to be back on court by next week

UConn junior guard Brianna Banks will miss her third game of the season including the second in a row when the Huskies host No. 4 Louisville on Sunday but with a week between that game and UConn's next game, she is optimistic her troublesome left ankle will be feeling well enough for her to get back onto the court.

Banks reaggravated the ankle that she has sprained on multiple occasions this season the day before the SMU game and it was clear during shootaround several hours before the game that she was not going to be able to play.

"I practiced the rest of that practice and Rosie (Ragle, UConn's athletic trainer) pulled me out. I tried during shootaround but it didn't work out."

Banks admitted she tried not to limp so that Ragle would not shut her down since she did not want to miss any more time considering that she was forced to sit out the second half of last season with a torn ACL. Banks said the swelling has gone down a little bit so she is seeing progress.

UConn is holding Banks out of practice for a week and see if there is any improvement. That hiatus is set to end in the middle of next week so she is hoping to be able to play against South Florida on Feb. 16.

"I am trying to stay off of it," Banks said. "She said I might not be able to play comfortably but as long as the pain is not substantial like it is, I will be able to play.

"I can't let it frustrate me. I have to take it day by day and have a positive attitude but my teammates help me with that. It was probably the worst injury I have ever had so I can't let an ankle sprain get me down."

With Banks out and Morgan Tuck missing the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery, UConn is left with seven full scholarship players facing one of the most aggressive offensive teams in the country. The good news is that Banks' teammates expect that she will be back sooner rather than later.

"We feel for anybody who gets injured but it definitely sucks to see that and see how much progress she had been making and kind of have this happen is a tough break but she has already been out practicing so I know she won't let it get her down," UConn senior center Stefanie Dolson said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home