Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

Stewart's block one for the ages

Geno Auriemma said Breanna Stewart's chase-down block of Betnijah Laney in the first half was a play that Maya Moore used to make. Stewart's teammate Moriah Jefferson mentioned the name LeBron James so yes, I guess you could say it was a memorable play.

The play began when Jefferson stumbled and lost the ball. Laney scooped the ball up and raced down for an apparent uncontested layup. However. Stewart had other ideas as she sprinted down the court and emphatically swatted the ball away.

"I honestly didn't think I was going to get it," Stewart said. "I thought I was too far away but she slowed up a little bit and I was able to get there and make the block and I think that, you know, most of the time we're hustling back because usually once someone turns it over and we lose the ball we want to make up for it."

With Jefferson needing to get up before making her down the court, she was able to watch the block at a perfect angle.

"I was coming off the screen and me and Betnijah ran into each other and I tripped. I got up and said 'Stewie is about to do this' so I got up and she blocked the shot," Jefferson said. "It was incredible because the view I had, she was running down looking like LeBron James just smacking it (into the stands)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home