Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Tuck thrilled to be back at practice for UConn

On Wednesday night when he was asked about the potential date for redshirt junior forward Morgan Tuck to return to practice, UConn coach Geno Auriemma felt like it could happen late next week.

Well. it is amazing how time flies. When the team got together on Thursday Tuck told Auriemma she was ready to get back on the court. After getting the OK from UConn athletic trainer Rosemary Ragle, Tuck practiced on a limited basis today.

"I thought I would try it out a little bit and see how it felt," Tuck said. "I will know tomorrow (if she can play against Memphis). It is pretty clear about how it feels so for the rest of today, how it feels when I wake up in the morning if it feeling good I will be good and if not, then I will be in dress clothes. I am not in a rush, today was my first day of practicing and I didn't do a whole day of practice so to go out there and try to go full go in a game, I will talk to Rosie but I don't know if that is the best option."

UConn will not rush Tuck back into the lineup but if she is good to go, there is a chance she would play tomorrow.

I walked by Tuck on my way to press row before Wednesday's Tulsa game and she had a look on her face I had never seen from her before. Maybe she was just sick of seeing me but she looked extremely annoyed and perhaps even dejected so perhaps it is not that big of a surprise that she is back on the court.

"It is rough," Tuck said, "It is like I haven't played in a long time. I just have to get out there and it felt good to be out there with my teammates. I think when you are out for a little, you kind of get out of sync and it is something I really want to make sure I am doing when I am on the court, I am getting that feel back with them.

"We did some treatments and it definitely calmed it down. I am definitely feeling a lot better than I was a week and a half, two weeks ago."

I didn't get to see the entire practice but UConn was working on half-court offense and once Tuck came onto the court it seemed as if the Huskies scored on every possession.

"Having Tuck back on court is like having three others on the floor because she just solves so many problems even before they come up, matchup problems on defense, matchup problems on offense," Auriemma said. "All of a sudden it is another 3-point shooter, another post player, a good passer, another good rebounder so it is just a lot of things that she does plus she knows but she has a real basketball IQ which in today's day and age, if you can get 'I' you are way ahead of the game never mind the 'Q' part."

Tuck is easily UConn's most vocal player on the court and that part of her game was noticeable when she was on the court.

"You can tell she is ready to come out and be a part of the team, she had a great practice today," UConn senior guard Moriah Jefferson said. She always brings that energy to our team. We need her, she is here and we couldn't be more happy."

Tuck will continue to receive treatment on her knee, probably as long as she is playing basketball. She spent plenty of time on the bike which was better than hitting the pool which she did in her first day after the decision was made to shut her down temporarily.

We did some treatments and it definitely calmed it down. I am definitely feeling a lot better than I

"I don't like swimming so that was by far the worst," Tuck said. "I only did it once, that was the first day that I was out and I got to ride the bike the rest of the time."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home