Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Time for a revote?

There were 25 Big East players who received at least one vote for all-conference teams and not one of them went by the name of Kalana Greene.

After Greene had 20 points (on 9 of 10 shooting), 10 rebounds, two assists and two streals in 31 minutes in UConn's 79-42 win over South Florida in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament, maybe it's time for the coaches to rethink their voting.

However, if the slight bothered Greene, she certainly did a good job of hiding it after the game.

"It didn't concern me because it was a stretch I went not scoring a field goal for three out of four games, that was a big factor," Greene said. "It didn't matter. I was happy for Maya, Renee, Tina, Tiffany and even Tiffany got robbed."

Auriemma told Greene he wouldn't have voted her either if he could vote for his players. However, that seemed more like a way of providing a little extra motivation for perhaps the most even-keel player on the UConn roster.

"When Kalana plays the game the way she plays it today, she is playing to her strengths," Auriemma said. "She is doing what makes her a really good player and if you watch her play, she didn't get one vote for any of the all-conference teams because otherwise she would have been an honorable mention so she wasn't even a
dishonorable mention, there was nothing. I told her I wouldn't have voted for her either way with the way she played a couple of the games she played. I think (Sunday) was hopefully the first step of what I think will be a great tournament for her."

4-FEAT FOR FUTURE HUSKY
When Auriemma heard that UConn signee Kelly Faris and her Heritage Christian of Indianapolis team won its fourth straight Indiana 2A championship on Saturday, he fired off a quick e-mail to the only player to sign with the Huskies in the early signing period.

"I sent her a note saying congratulations," Auriemma said. "Four in a row is pretty impressive, I don't care where you do it or against who. She said 'yeah and I am coming to get four more.' That is the kind of kid you want. Those are the kinds of kids you want to recruit and those are the kinds of kids you want to coach."

HARRY THE MEDIC?
Auriemma isn't sure when he will kick the flu bug that has him feeling a little off kilter but he is pretty certain another game against the perennially hard to play against Villanova team is not going to help his health.

"I am a little under the weather right now. He came into the lockerroom before the game and took my temperature," Auriemma said of Villanova coach Harry Perretta, one of his closest friends. "You don't understand how bad it is to deal with him on a regular basis. The man asked me if I had taken tylenol, did I take any kind of antibiotics? He put his hand on my forehead to check if I had a fever. I don't know how his wife does it, God bless Helen. No, I am not looking forward to (tomorrow)."



FOND MEMORIES
Rutgers assistant Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil is no stranger to the XL Center even if this is her just her second season of coaching in the Big East Conference.

Back in 1996, the former Texas All-American was a member of the New England Blizzard which played its home games in this building (then known as the Hartford Civic Center).

"I remember the great support here, Davis-Wrightsil said. "I am looking around, this is the Big East tournament and I remember coming into this gym and seeing this place packed. It was exciting, it was something that was new for women's basketball and it was great to be a part of history."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home